Here are some basic tips to help make moving less traumatic:
• Pack an “Immediate Box” or an overnight suitcase with the necessities you’ll be needing right away. Don’t forget to include medicines and a first aid kit, toilet paper, tissue, and paper towels.
• Pack an “Immediate Kitchen” box including trash bags, the coffee pot or tea kettle, toaster, plastic silverware, paper plates, Styrofoam cups and some non-perishable snacks, such as crackers, peanut butter, dried fruit. This way, there will be some instant sustenance while you get organized.
• Affix colored labels to the moving boxes according to destination. Put the same-color labels or signs on the door of the rooms where these boxes go. This way, movers will be directed to the correct rooms if you’re not available to tell them where to put each box.
• Make a detailed floor plan for where you want things to go in your new home. Photocopy it so you can tack up copies in every room for the movers.
• Take snapshots of wall units and shelves, so you know how things were arranged on them.bsp;